Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Business owners beware!

Hi! This is Angela, the gallery owner, I just took another "social networking" class so I'm going to try to be a lot better about blogging now! Wow, has this year been a learning experience for all of us... here's my big lesson learned for small business owners today: if you take credit cards, make sure you find out what your "high charge limit" is! Ours was apparently only $2500.00. I didn't even know we had one until we made this awesome Steve Barton sale on Monday. It was from an out-of-town client and it was over 4K so we had to take it over the phone. Woohooo! Now, we've had lots of big sales before but I guess we haven't had one charged to a credit card since we changed our merchant services company. I happily spent Tuesday evening paying bills and placing a couple more orders for some cool art glass nail files, when the phone rang.... It was my credit card merchant services company. They said they were holding the funds and not putting them in my bank account because our high charge limit was only 2500. WTF??? It's like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't! Anyway, I had to email and fax to them a bunch more paperwork proving our worth (as if the sale itself wasn't enough) for them to actually put the money through. Soooo - be sure you ask about stuff like that if you have a small business and take credit cards!

No comments: